HP 3PAR Compactation

Albatros25

HP 3PAR Compactation

Post by Albatros25 »

Hello,

Please , does HP3PAR-2n offer compactation?, if yes; is it an online algorithm?, how can we check the rate of compactation?, are all applications compatibles with compactation : without any performance impact or any issue ?
Thank you in advance.

Regards.
JohnMH

Re: HP 3PAR Compactation

Post by JohnMH »

Have a look at this whitepaper, 3PAR supports compaction which is a combination of thin technologies, zero detect and other space saving techniques for all disk tiers, it also supports inline dedupe as well as compaction on SSD based tiers and yes all is online. Compaction and dedupe are invisible to the host so yes they are compatible with all supported O/S & applications assuming they can take advantage of these technologies.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.asp ... 987ENW.pdf
Richard Siemers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Siemers »

I assume by compaction you mean compression. Not to be confused with the CPG maintenance task of compaction.
Richard Siemers
The views and opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
JohnMH

Post by JohnMH »

The term compaction is being used as a catch all for space saving techniques on 3PAR as opposed to just claiming everything is the result of deduplication savings. However as Richard pointed out 3PAR also allows compaction of other structures such as CPG's etc, so the answer's yes to either :-)