HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Remove vvol from exported vvset
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:11 am 

Hi folks,

I've inherited management of an old 7200 that I'm trying to tidy up so I can reallocate free space by deleting unused vvols. However, I've discovered that 3 of the vvols I need to delete are all in the same vvset and there's something stirring in my memory from the last course I did that vvsets can only be emptied from the most recently added vvol backwards?

The system is running 3.2.2.709 MU6+P96,P99.

If I can't delete then it's not really an issue, hopefully the amount of free space in these vvols is enough to last until the system is retired next year. I'll just have to move some vmdk's around.

Cheers!

Witchy

Post subject: Re: Remove vvol from exported vvset
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:26 pm 

Just try and remove one from the VVset.

I can't remember such a limitation, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Just remember that removing a VV from a VVset will remove any exports to that VV done thru the VVset.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:36 am 

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply - xmas break and all that!

OK I'll try and remove the smallest now unused VV. I think the VVset was only done this way to make whoever set this up's job easier so if I have to set up new exports afterwards to the VVs I free up that's not a problem.

Cheers, and have a good new year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:30 am 

Hello all, happy new year.

I've remembered why I was nervous about deleting this VV that's in a volume set. When I go to delete I get a warning saying:

"The virtual volumes listed below will be deleted and all the data on the virtual volumes will be lost. The deletion will include:

Virtual volumes exported to a host (configure the host software to stop using the virtual volumes)
All snapshots and clones of the listed virtual volumes
Any listed virtual volumes that are part of a virtual volume set"

1 and 2 I'm fine with, 3 makes me go 'eek' even though there's only one VV listed underneath and that's the one I'm trying to delete. I think it's saying it'll be deleted even if it's part of a volume set, but bits of me are worried it will delete the whole VVset which is pretty much everything on the 3PAR. I think I'm going to have to set up my own test vvset just to see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am 

witchy wrote:
Hello all, happy new year.

I've remembered why I was nervous about deleting this VV that's in a volume set. When I go to delete I get a warning saying:

"The virtual volumes listed below will be deleted and all the data on the virtual volumes will be lost. The deletion will include:

Virtual volumes exported to a host (configure the host software to stop using the virtual volumes)
All snapshots and clones of the listed virtual volumes
Any listed virtual volumes that are part of a virtual volume set"

1 and 2 I'm fine with, 3 makes me go 'eek' even though there's only one VV listed underneath and that's the one I'm trying to delete. I think it's saying it'll be deleted even if it's part of a volume set, but bits of me are worried it will delete the whole VVset which is pretty much everything on the 3PAR. I think I'm going to have to set up my own test vvset just to see what happens.

Remove the VV from the set. Don't delete the set :).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 am 

Obviously yes :lol:

That warning worries me though, the vvset this vv is part of is the entire 3PAR so an accidental oops may cost me my job. You can see why I'm nervous.

W