HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: List Backups by Gateway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:27 am 

In my organisation, we want to move any data protection roles and jobs from one media server to another. I am extremely new to Data Protector and searching the web for data protector information can be tricky to say the least!

We have 3par as our main storage, with 2 HP 4700 StoreOnce devices for backup.

Please bear in mind that at the moment I am not terribly familiar with how any of it works, but I am building my knowledge up as I go, so I would appreciate answers that you would be suitable for Forrest Gump when explaining!

My research so far has led me to believe that if we have ServerA with 3 CatStores set up and whole bunch of backups using the gateway on that server and it is being decomissioned, the best way to go about this would be to ensure all the same services are running on ServerB, set up a new CatStore on ServerB (new device in DP) and the set up a gateway for it and reconfigure any backups using the gateway on ServerA to use the new device and gateway set up on ServerB.

My organisation has a very large estate, and we have hundreds of backup jobs. Is there any easy way to identify backups being sent via a particular gateway, or simply list all the backups and their destination gateway? I can find out the information manually via the GUI by going to the backup and looking at the destination, but I don't want to be doing that manually if I can help it as it will take a very long time.

I've had a poke around in the CLI, and got some good info, like a list of all backups from dl_info and the list of catstores used for each backup specification (from used_media_extended), but I haven't been able find out how to list all of the gateways and which backups are using them. Is anyone able to help please?

Post subject: Re: List Backups by Gateway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:08 am 

I'm on pretty deep water here, but I was under the impression that dedupe happened within each catalyst store. If that is true, it would be a bad idea to change catalyst store when changing media server.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:42 am 

Hi, MammaGutt thanks for your response, it is much appreciated.

Do you know how I would go about attaching/linking (don't know the terminology) the Catstore showing on Server1 to Server2? Under devices and hosts in DP I selected server2 and tried the 'add new device' button. It picks up and enters the correct server for the deduplication system, but when I got to 'Select/Create Store' it takes a very long time to open and then has nothing listed in the list of stores, so my only option is to create a new one. I can create a new gateway

This is why I thought I would have to create a new store? Is this not the correct procedure? If not do you know the correct procedure please? Doing a search for adding a new gateway in data protector helpfully doesn't return me anything useful other than the full manual, and that isn't really a lot of help as I'm so new to this whole environment and don't have several weeks to study just to resolve this one question (particularly as I have a bunch of other questions that need answering too).

Thanks a lot! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:59 am 

The Layer7 API Gateway's Backup functionality is designed to gather data from a normal deployment. By default, third-party apps, unsupported utility use, and some OS-level modifications will not be captured. If you want more information to check out the websites https://technoburst.com/best-motherboar ... n-9-5900x/.