HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: 3par capacity size with VM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:02 am 

Hi I have 3par virtual size 4TB, used user size 30% and reserve user size 1.6TB, and in VMware datastore show capacity 4TB and used 3.5TB, so why in storage side show more available free size but in VMware show 200G available only?

Post subject: Re: 3par capacity size with VM
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:16 am 

Phill wrote:
Hi I have 3par virtual size 4TB, used user size 30% and reserve user size 1.6TB, and in VMware datastore show capacity 4TB and used 3.5TB, so why in storage side show more available free size but in VMware show 200G available only?

My guess is that you are using Thick eager zero VMDKs which is recommended for VMFS5 and older. Vmware will read the VM as thick and say 3.5TB and 3PAR will read actual usage, and/or you have a lot of files on your VMFS not linked to a VM.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:50 am 

The VMs using thin, so i am not sure if 3par not present the actual space or VMware side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:58 am 

Phill wrote:
The VMs using thin, so i am not sure if 3par not present the actual space or VMware side

The 3PAR doesn't know what is stored on the array. It only knows how many blocks are something other than all zeroes. So if the 3PAR volume is thin, that data is 100% accurate.

If I were you I would either browse the datastore in vcenter/webgui or log on to an ESXi host with SSH and look at datastores and file sizes.

Fwiw, if you have VMFS5, thin VMs isn't the recommendation.