HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SSMC 2.2 Server Space
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:53 pm
Posts: 4
Hello,

I recently inherited 2 x 7400 series (3.2.1) with a SSMC 2.2 Windows management server. I'll be working on 3PAR OS and mgmt server upgrades, however in the duration, is there any way to clear space from the installation drive on the SSMS server?

I read the SSMC 2.2 Admin Guide but don't really see any useful information about freeing up space from the install drive, which seems to just be growing out of control. I've grown the drive 3x now but would like to remove any logs or info I can to shrink the application's usage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: SSMC 2.2 Server Space
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:47 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:53 pm
Posts: 4
I think I figured this out. I thought SSMC was the only app installed here but it looks like HPOneView was also installed and has been logging data since 2015..

Still, if there's a way to tamp down on any SSMC logging, eg keep it at 3 months of data max, I'd be interested in knowing how.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: SSMC 2.2 Server Space
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:39 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Europe
storageengineer wrote:
I think I figured this out. I thought SSMC was the only app installed here but it looks like HPOneView was also installed and has been logging data since 2015..

Still, if there's a way to tamp down on any SSMC logging, eg keep it at 3 months of data max, I'd be interested in knowing how.



What is your end game here? I would either jump back to IMC (which works fine with 3.2.1 and 7k) or deploy the SSMC appliance which has been the going-forward platform for 3 years or so. 3.6 is the latest to officially support 3.2.1 and you want the latest 3.8.x version to be unaffected by the latest log4j issue... so that would require 3PAR OS upgrade (which probably isn't a bad idea if you intend to run these arrays going forward).

_________________
The views and opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my current or previous employers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: SSMC 2.2 Server Space
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:32 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:53 pm
Posts: 4
MammaGutt wrote:
storageengineer wrote:
I think I figured this out. I thought SSMC was the only app installed here but it looks like HPOneView was also installed and has been logging data since 2015..

Still, if there's a way to tamp down on any SSMC logging, eg keep it at 3 months of data max, I'd be interested in knowing how.



What is your end game here? I would either jump back to IMC (which works fine with 3.2.1 and 7k) or deploy the SSMC appliance which has been the going-forward platform for 3 years or so. 3.6 is the latest to officially support 3.2.1 and you want the latest 3.8.x version to be unaffected by the latest log4j issue... so that would require 3PAR OS upgrade (which probably isn't a bad idea if you intend to run these arrays going forward).


I didn't think the appliance would work at all with this 3PAR OS, so that is something at least.

These are EOL soon (November?) and our support ends sooner than that. I think the plan is to migrate to NTAP or Pure or Nimble or Primera. I have quotes from the first 2 and looking to HP next for theirs. Need to do SQL application-aware backups and clones (and replication) which I know how to do with Netapp and Pure but not sure what currently is offered by HP, so having to look into that, too.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: SSMC 2.2 Server Space
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:03 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Europe
storageengineer wrote:
MammaGutt wrote:
storageengineer wrote:
I think I figured this out. I thought SSMC was the only app installed here but it looks like HPOneView was also installed and has been logging data since 2015..

Still, if there's a way to tamp down on any SSMC logging, eg keep it at 3 months of data max, I'd be interested in knowing how.



What is your end game here? I would either jump back to IMC (which works fine with 3.2.1 and 7k) or deploy the SSMC appliance which has been the going-forward platform for 3 years or so. 3.6 is the latest to officially support 3.2.1 and you want the latest 3.8.x version to be unaffected by the latest log4j issue... so that would require 3PAR OS upgrade (which probably isn't a bad idea if you intend to run these arrays going forward).


I didn't think the appliance would work at all with this 3PAR OS, so that is something at least.

These are EOL soon (November?) and our support ends sooner than that. I think the plan is to migrate to NTAP or Pure or Nimble or Primera. I have quotes from the first 2 and looking to HP next for theirs. Need to do SQL application-aware backups and clones (and replication) which I know how to do with Netapp and Pure but not sure what currently is offered by HP, so having to look into that, too.


SSMC 3.6 should work with 3.2.1.

It would be up to you on what to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if call home isn't working due to old SP.

So quick fix is going back to IMC for management or get the systems updated and use latest appliance.

_________________
The views and opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my current or previous employers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: SSMC 2.2 Server Space
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:40 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm
Posts: 1342
Location: Europe
Quote:
Need to do SQL application-aware backups and clones (and replication) which I know how to do with Netapp and Pure but not sure what currently is offered by HP, so having to look into that, too.


You should look into RMC (Recovery Manager Central). It will do application and crash consistent snapshots and if you have StoreOnce it can ship it off there as well. RMC is included in the 3PAR/Primera some years already and I think it supports Nimble as well.

_________________
The views and opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my current or previous employers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: SSMC 2.2 Server Space
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:39 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:53 pm
Posts: 4
MammaGutt wrote:
SSMC 3.6 should work with 3.2.1.

It would be up to you on what to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if call home isn't working due to old SP.

So quick fix is going back to IMC for management or get the systems updated and use latest appliance.


The systems are indeed not sending updates to support. We're unable to upgrade the SPs to the latest version because of the OS version.

I only see 3PAR SSMC 3.8.2.1 available upon login to https://myenterpriselicense.hpe.com/cwp ... -software/

Looking into RMC, though I guess we will talk to the HPE sales guys more about this next month.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group | DVGFX2 by: Matt