HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Controller Revision Number
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:35 am 

Hi guys,

Please look at this screenshot in attach.

This label is located on the 3PAR storage controller and has revision number A7 (in orange circle).
Please help me find the answer to the questions:
1)How can I get information about the revision of the controller from 3PAR CLI?
2)Is there any other way to find out this information (about revision number) without pulling the controller out of the storage system?
3) Also could someone share experience of combinig contrlollers with different revision numbers?

Thank you!!!

Attachments:
revision_sample.jpg
revision_sample.jpg [ 65.32 KiB | Viewed 5717 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Controller Revision Number
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:21 am 

1. Pretty sure you can't.
2. Not that I know of.
3. I can't say for sure (as I havn't pulled the nodes nor found I way to see this) but I'm pretty sure that the nodes replaced on systems I've managed were not the same revision as the one it replaced. And I've never experienced any differences on systems with nodes replaced and systems where it hasn't.

I'm just taking a stab here that the revision number changes whenever a single change as been made (ie, change of node disk model or a new RoHS compliance needs to be addressed or other smaller changes to the controller). The speeds and feeds should be exact across all revisions, if not, something would probably break :D

Post subject: Re: Controller Revision Number
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:24 am 

MammaGutt wrote:
1. Pretty sure you can't.
2. Not that I know of.
3. I can't say for sure (as I havn't pulled the nodes nor found I way to see this) but I'm pretty sure that the nodes replaced on systems I've managed were not the same revision as the one it replaced. And I've never experienced any differences on systems with nodes replaced and systems where it hasn't.

I'm just taking a stab here that the revision number changes whenever a single change as been made (ie, change of node disk model or a new RoHS compliance needs to be addressed or other smaller changes to the controller). The speeds and feeds should be exact across all revisions, if not, something would probably break :D

Thank you!!! :D :D :D