HPE Storage Users Group

A Storage Administrator Community

Post subject: Moving to Primera from 3par 7400
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm 

Ok, so I have two 7400 in synchronous replication with FC and NL drives, a little less then 200TB of data. I have a fiberchannel backend.
I'm replacing both with new Primera arrays, 92tb SSD system.
Most of the data is vmware vmfs vluns. I have a few NTFS luns and an openvms one.
For the vmware ones does it make more sense to use storage remote copy. and just failover?
Or should we do storage vmotion? Yes some re-arranging makes some sense as some luns are over crowded but it may make more sense to move them around on the primera which will be ridiculously faster.

for openvms, the plan is to present some disks from primera and have it use it's replication.
for NTFS my thought is to use remote copy and failover.

Post subject: Re: Moving to Primera from 3par 7400
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

VMware vMotion migrations are my first choice. You can set a new standard datastore size, re-arrange them as you mentioned, but also start fresh with the latest version of VMFS. Moving to faster array typically motivates ESX admins to support a migration, but they can be less inspired to keep their VMFS versions up to date, or their datastores balanced. Brand new LUNs eliminates the risk of upgrading a live datastore, and it's less work trying to rebalance when you are moving to all new luns too.

For Windows Servers, note that the compatibility matrix on SPOCK does not show 3PAR 7K systems as supported for remote copy/peer "persistence" partners, just 8K and above. This may or may not be for technical reasons, you may be able to pursue a CER or DER with you sales team to get special approval, if you insist to use rcopy, however Peer "Motion" migration from 7K to Primera is supported and may be preferable.

For openvms, you may need a CER/DER, I see it on the matrix for 3PAR, but it not yet on the matrix for Primera. That stands for Customer Exception Request, or Deal Exception Request. Your account team should help with that.

Post subject: Re: Moving to Primera from 3par 7400
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:20 am 

Don't think it's made it into SPOCK yet, but looks like support is there.

https://www.vmssoftware.com/products_res.html

OpenVMS Partner Platform Statements
HPE Primera Storage Array Support

VMS Software, Inc. is pleased to announce support for HPE Primera storage product line.

Supported operating system version on VSI OpenVMS Integrity is V8.4-2L1.

Supported servers are HPE Integrity BL860c i2/i4/i6, BL870c i2/i4/6, BL890c i2/i4/6, rx2800 i2/i4/i6, rx2660, rx3600, rx6600, rx7640, and rx8640 with 8Gb QLogic Fibre Channel HBAs and 16Gb Fibre Channel HBAs.

Primera firmware should be at 4.0.1.3 or higher.

Supported HPE Primera 600 Storage (Fibre channel interface) with VSI V8.4-2L1 are:

•HPE Primera 630

•HPE Primera 650

•HPE Primera 670